Holiday Song History: ‘The Christmas Song’
- Song - The Christmas Song
- Year - 1945
- Written By - Bob Wells, Mel Torme
Other Random Facts
- The song is commonly subtitled Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire.
- Torme says the song was written during a blistering hot summer in an effort to "stay cool by thinking cool."
- Torme walked by Wells piano and saw a spiral notebook with the following lines written on it:
- Chestnuts roasting...
- Jack Frost nipping...
- Yuletide carols...
- Folks dressed up like Eskimos...
- Wells wasn't writing songs lyrics though. He was just trying to immerse himself in cold thoughts. But 40 minutes later, the song was written.
- Nat King Cole recorded the song multiple times through the years with different arrangements.
- Mel Torme himself also recorded multiple versions of the song.
- The song has charted with version by...
- Christina Aguilera on the 2000 album My Kind of Christmas. The song hit number 18 on the US Billboard Hot 100 singles chart.
- Michael Buble on the 2003 EP Let It Snow. The song hit number 6 on the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart.