Holiday Song History: ‘Do You Hear What I Hear’
- Song - Do You Hear What I Hear
- Year - 1962
- Written By - Gloria Shayne Baker (composer), Noel Regney (lyricist)
Other Random Facts
- The composer and lyricist (Gloria Shayne Baker and Noel Regney) were married at the time they wrote the song together.
- The song was written as a plea for peace during the Cuban Missile Crisis.
- This song was written the reverse of how Baker and Regney used to write, as Baker would normally be the lyricist, and Regney would compose the song.
- The original recording of the song came after Thanksgiving in 1962 and was performed by the Harry Simeone Chorale, the same group that made The Little Drummer Boy popular.
- The most popular and well known version of the song is Bing Crosby's version that was released in late October of 1963.
- Regney said his favorite version of the song was performed by Robert Goulet. You can see that version below.