Yes or BS — Babe Ruth Edition
Babe Ruth made his Major League debut 102 years ago today. How well do you know the Sultan of Swat?
- He had no home runs his first season in the majors.
- Yes - He started out as a pitcher and only had 10 total at-bats that year.
- He never played in an All-Star game, because they didn't have them yet.
- BS - The first All-Star game was in 1933 and The Babe went two-for-four with a home run. He played in the 1934 All-Star game as well before retiring in 1935.
- He only had 11 home runs in 1918, but still lead the majors.
- Yes - Ballparks were much bigger back then, and the ball was softer. Plus the season was shortened because of World War One.
- He was born in Boston, three blocks from where Fenway Park is now.
- BS - He was born in Baltimore, three blocks from where Camden Yards is now. And his dad died in a fight outside a bar that was two blocks from the stadium.
- He would have hit even more home runs in his career, but he ran into a concrete wall during a game in 1924, knocking himself out and missing half the season.
- BS - He did run into a wall and was out for about five minutes, but a doctor poured ice water on his face. He stayed in the game and went 3-for-3 with two doubles. That was during the first game of a doubleheader. He played in the second game that night as well.