Twelve New Modernized Entries to the Oxford Dictionary
With new slang terms being created daily, the Oxford Dictionary has added some new entries recently.
According to Time Magazine, the Oxford English Dictionary is one of the most famous dictionaries in the world, and it is difficult for a word to get in there.
But they also have a branch called the Oxford Dictionaries that adds newer, modern words that are just becoming a thing, and that could possibly get into the main Oxford English Dictionary one day.
Yesterday the Oxford Dictionaries just announced a bunch of ridiculous modern words they are adding.
Here are my 10 favorites and their meanings as they will show up in the dictionary:
- awesomesauce. "extremely good, excellent."
- beer o'clock. "an appropriate time of day for starting to drink beer."
- brain fart. "a temporary mental lapse or failure to reason correctly."
- butt dial. "to inadvertently call someone on a mobile phone in one's rear trouser pocket."
- butthurt. "Overly or unjustifiably offended or resentful."
- hangry. "Bad-tempered or irritable as a result of hunger."
- MacGyver. "Make or repair an object in an improvised or inventive way, making use of whatever items are at hand."
- manic pixie dream girl. "Especially in film, a type of female character depicted as vivacious and appealing quirky, whose main purpose is to inspire a greater appreciation for life in a male protagonist."
- mic drop. "An instance of deliberately dropping or tossing aside one's microphone at the end of a performance or speech one considers to have been particularly impressive."
- weak sauce. "Something that is of a poor or disappointing standard or quality."
The article in Time has the complete list of the entries for you to go and pick your favorites also.