10 Things That Make You Seem Unprofessional
Thanks to Inc.com, here is a list of 10 things that make you seem unprofessional.
- Showing up late or calling out sick a lot. – This is one of my biggest pet peeves when it come to co-workers. And the worst is when it comes to being late you hear “I started getting ready early.” Doesn’t matter, show up every day, and show up on time.
- Complaining about every little thing. – It’s one thing to get irritated by things at work. Chance are, there are going to be a lot. Just don’t bitch about it all.
- Asking too many questions. – I’m a firm believer that there is no such thing as a stupid question, but there is such a thing as too many questions. One of the things I’ve always looked for when it comes to an employee I might be hiring is how are their problem solving skills. Yes, I want someone to be able to ask questions, but if you want to make it far, be able to find an answer on your own.
- Being messy. – I once worked with a guy who had a disgusting desk. Looked like a tornado hit it. And everyone always said “But he knows where everything is”. Bulls***. I constantly saw him getting mixed up or turning in the wrong paperwork because his desk was a clusterf***.
- Being arrogant. – There’s a difference between confidence and cockiness. Chances are if you have to brag about your work performance, your performance isn’t that good.
- Bragging. – This one can really be wrapped up with the last one.
- Not dressing up for work. – I’ve gotten complaints before about how I dress for work. People apparently don’t realize that one of the reasons I got into radio was you don’t have to be in a suit and tie every day. That and no drug tests.
- Getting too personal. – It’s one thing to be friends with those at work, but know that there are boundaries.
- Being loud while those around you are working. – I’ve never really had to deal with this. One of the joys of radio is being able to listen to music in a studio as loud as you want.
- Swearing all the time. – I always heard “talk in the office like you’re talking to your mom”. That doesn’t really work for me though, because it’s rather unedited talking to my mom.