Yes or BS — Pokemon Edition
I actually saw two people wondering in the middle of the road right next to our studios this morning at 4am playing Pokemon GO. How well do you know Pokemon? Try out this Yes or BS.
- There are 151 different Pokemon characters.
- Yes - A tattoo artist in Boston has been trying to tattoo all of them on 151 different people. She's been at it two years and only had 13 left as of last week.
- The whole Pokemon thing was inspired by insect collecting.
- Yes - The video game designer in Japan who came up with it was obsessed with collecting insects as a kid.
- "Pikachu" in Japanese translates to "Foolish Yellow Rabbit."
- BS - In Japanese, "pika" means the sound of a spark, and "chu" is the sound a mouse makes. So in a way it translates to Electric Mouse.
- In 2000, Pope John Paul II called Pokemon false idols and told Catholics not to play the video games.
- BS - He LIKED Pokemon actually and said it was "full of inventive imagination" and had no "moral side effects."
- A tiny island nation called Niue (Nee-OO-ay) put Pokemon on their currency in 2001.
- Yes - It's roughly halfway between Hawaii and New Zealand. They released five $1 coins in 2001 and each one had a different character on it. Pikachu, Squirtle, Meowth, Bulbasaur, and Charmander.