Top 5 Texas Comfort Foods
Comfort foods are something that helps you out of a bad time, maybe depression or just a terrible day at work. Here are the top 5 comfort foods for Texans.
- Chicken Fried Steak - Definitely a Texas and southern favorite. Nothing takes you back to mom's or grandma's house better than a good chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and gravy all made from scratch.
- Pecan Pie - nothing finishes off a good chicken fried steak than a nice warm slice of pecan pie. Some people may put ice cream or whipped cream on top of a slice of pecan pie but not me, give me the pie just as it is in all its syrupy goodness.
- Chocolate Chip Cookies - If you are like me, you don't care if the cookies are baked or if you are just eating the raw cookie dough, either way, it is another good way to take you back to your childhood and this one especially takes you back to grandma's house.
- A Big Pot of Beef Stew - Nothing says comfort like a big pot of beef stew or a pot of chili, either one is definitely a comfort food and best when made on a cold winter day, but you eat hot food all year so stew and chili are still good in the summertime too.
- Meatloaf With BBQ Glaze - This is one of my favorites that my mom used to make and always made a good meal and great comfort food. The BBQ glaze is probably a Texas thing and that is what makes it great, why have just plain old tomato sauce over your meatloaf when you can have a great BBQ glaze.
There are the foods that bring me comfort, what are yours?
LOOK: Food history from the year you were born
From product innovations to major recalls, Stacker researched what happened in food history every year since 1921, according to news and government sources.