Top 5 Signs Spring is Coming to Midland Odessa
We seem to be in a more spring-like weather pattern right now, but coming this week is yet another cold blast to the Midland/Odessa area. Here are 5 things to look for to know spring is finally here.
- The Mesquite Trees - the best way to look for spring finally getting here is to look for buds on the mesquite trees. They have never been wrong in all the years I have been living here. It's almost like they know when the cold blasts are over.
- You See Wild Animals - Also seemingly tapped into the weather patterns and when the cold blasts are over is the wild animals around here. You will see more rabbits, coyotes, and deer milling about and that is a good sign that the cold blasts are over.
- Don't Trust the Mulberry Trees - The mulberry trees are the worst to look at for when spring is finally here. Give the mulberry trees a week of decent temperatures and they are already budding out. Then when the next freeze comes thru it kills all the buds and pushes back the blooming of the mulberry trees till late spring.
- You see more sparrows around the area - Grackles (the annoying black birds that look like ravens) are around all winter long it's like they like cold weather but the sparrows will come out more often once the last freeze has happened.
- Check out the Cactus - Prickly Pear cactus will start perking up once there are no more chances of a freeze. they will also begin to show signs of blooms as well.
Check for those signs and you know that spring is on the way.