Buc-ee’s Plans Its First West Texas Store, How Close Is It To Midland Odessa?
Yes, Buc-ee's is planning a new location in West Texas, but how close is it to Midland/Odessa.
According to KAMR-TV, the new location will be in Amarillo.
Amarillo City Council unanimously approved the Buc-ee's Travel Center during their regular Tuesday meeting with incentives added to the project.
The incentives of the project are as follows:
- New sales tax collections for the city at 50% of the city’s 1.5% for 20 years, then full collection after the end of the term;
- $275,000 donation to benefit community-oriented projects, civic events, or other benevolent purposes within the city as determined by City Council;
- Including the word ‘Amarillo’ on the primary freestanding sign;
- Maintaining an annual membership with the Amarillo Chamber of Commerce;
- 18 square feet of community information kiosk space within the travel center;
- Make an effort to hire local contractors and suppliers to construct the project;
- New ad valorem taxes from a $30MM+ investment, with no abatement or rebate being requested.
The location will be near the airport on I-40 and Airport Blvd. and will be a 53,000 square foot travel center on a 20-acre plot of land and construction should take about 15 months from groundbreaking to opening.
Buc-ee's is expected to hire 150 full-time employees at a starting wage of $15 an hour.
Those incentives listed above could also be offered by Midland and Odessa Development Corporations to lure the travel center to Midland/Odessa somewhere along I-20.
Hopefully, now that they have agreed to a location in the western half of Texas, a location closer to Midland/Odessa could happen soon.CLICK HERE TO SEE THE LONGEST CAR WASH IN THE WORLD AT THIS BUC-EE'S!