Sleeping With Your Cell Phone Can Be a Fire Hazard
Did you know that you can wake up in a fiery blaze if you sleep with your cell phone? According to KDFW, that’s just what happened to one 13-year-old North Texas girl.
A 13-year-old North Texas girl was awoken in the night by a smoldering cell phone on the other side of her pillow, but the cell phone manufacturer says she did something they warn users about. [KDFW]
Basically, the girl had the cell phone underneath her pillow and the lack of air flow caused the phone to overheat and start a fire.
A spokesperson for Samsung says their products are safe, and pointed out that the battery inside the phone was a replacement unit and not an original Samsung part.
Nevertheless, the company does agree there is a need for consumer education when it comes to rechargeable batteries. That’s exactly why they post a warning in their user guide, which specifically states covering one of their devices with bedding or other material could restrict airflow and cause a fire. [KDFW]
As a parent, I’ve seen my daughter sleep with her phone under her pillow and I’m sure many other teens do the same. Take the time to educate your children on the hazards of doing this so you don’t wake up to a fire.
Watch the entire report here
Subscribe to The Basin’s Real Rock 99.9 K-Bat on