NFC Championship Appearances
With the NFC Championship between San Francisco and Seattle coming up later today, here are the teams that have and have not been to the NFC/NFL championship game since 1933.
Note the NFC Championship game has only been in existence since 1970, before then it was just the NFL Championship before the NFL/AFL Merger. The Super Bowl era did not begin till 1966 so the statistics shown below are from all games since 1933 and do not necessarily reflect how many Super Bowls the winners have been to.
According to NFL records, the only team that has never lost an NFC/NFL Championship is the Seattle Seahawks who won the only NFC Championship game they have appeared in back in the 2005 season, beating Carolina 34-14.
There are no teams in the NFC that have not appeared in an NFC/NFL Championship game.
There are three teams that have appeared in both the NFC/NFL Championship and the AFC Championship: Cleveland Browns, Baltimore Colts, and Seattle Seahawks.
The top 5 teams that have appeared in the most NFC/NFL Championships are:
- 19 - New York Giants (8-11)
- 16 - Dallas Cowboys (8-8)
- 15 - Green Bay Packers (11-4)
- 15 - Chicago Bears (8-7)
- 15 - San Francisco 49ers, including today's game (6-8)
Now here are the results for all the teams that have been to the NFC/NFL Championship ranked by their winning percentage:
- 1.000 - Seattle Seahawks (1-0)
- .750 - Baltimore Colts (3-1)
- .733 - Green Bay Packers (11-4)
- .667 - Detroit Lions (4-2)
- .667 - Arizona/Chicago Cardinals (2-1) (Cardinals were also in St. Louis from 1960-1987 but never made it to an NFC/NFL Championship while in St. Louis)
- .583 - Washington/Boston Redskins (7-5)
- .533 - Chicago Bears (8-7)
- .500 - Dallas Cowboys (8-8)
- .500 - Philadelphia Eagles (5-5)
- .500 - New Orleans Saints (1-1)
- .444 - Minnesota Vikings (4-5)
- .429 - San Francisco 49ers (6-8)
- .421 - New York Giants (8-11)
- .364 - Cleveland Browns (4-7)
- .357 - St. Louis/Los Angeles/Cleveland Rams (5-9) (one game in Cleveland in 1945, 11 in Los Angeles, and 2 in St. Louis)
- .333 - Atlanta Falcons (1-2)
- .333 - Carolina Panthers (1-2)
- .333 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-2)
There are all the teams that have played in an NFC/NFL Championship game to get you ready for today's game.
I will have all the information about all the teams that have, and have not appeared in the Super Bowl coming up Super Bowl week.