David Draiman Reiterates Commitment to Disturbed + Excitement for Device
As David Draiman prepares for the release of Device's first album next week, he's once again heading online to let fans know that his commitment to Disturbed remains intact while his passion and excitement for Device is equally as strong.
Draiman's fans have helped Device's lead single 'Vilify' quickly rise up the charts, and while the song fits right in the Disturbed wheelhouse vocally, musically there's more of an industrial edge. In our exclusive interview with Draiman, he told us, "There was no conscious effort [to vary my delivery], that’s for certain. My voice is associated with Disturbed — that’s how my voice is branded and when I go into the more staccato, rhythmic delivery, which is just a very comfortable and familiar place, it’s a powerful place for me to go vocally … It’s no different than Maynard James Keenan going and doing A Perfect Circle – does he still sound like the voice from Tool? Absolutely, but he’s going in different areas with his voice on the record and occasionally he’ll do a song like ‘Judas’ which sounds more like Tool but still has elements that are different from a Tool record, which is kind of like the equivalent to what I would compare to ‘Vilify’ on the Device record."
In his message to fans, Draiman says he wants to clear up any misconceptions about his two bands and uses article and website links to show his points. The Facebook posting reads as follows:
MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS, MY BLOOD,
I JUST WANTED TO CLEAR UP A FEW COMMON MISCONCEPTIONS.
1. DISTURBED IS NOT BROKEN UP. THIS IS A HIATUS (EXTENDED BREAK). THE GIANT IS SLEEPING, NOT DEAD.
2. THE EXISTENCE OF MY NEW PROJECT, DEVICE
IN NO WAY INDICATES AN END TO DISTURBED. ITS ANOTHER PROJECT, JUST LIKE MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN FROM TOOL HAS A PERFECT CIRCLE AND CORY TAYLOR FROM SLIPKNOT HAS STONE SOUR. IT'S SIMPLY ANOTHER MUSICAL OUTLET THAT CAME TOGETHER QUITE ACCIDENTALLY,
AND I'M RATHER HAPPY IT DID, BECAUSE IT'S BEEN QUITE FULFILLING CREATIVELY. IT IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE DISTURBED, AS NOTHING POSSIBLY COULD.
3. THE MEMBERS OF DISTURBED ARE ALL ON GREAT TERMS WITH ONE ANOTHER. WE MESSAGE ONE ANOTHER FREQUENTLY AND ARE SUPPORTIVE OF EACH OTHERS RESPECTIVE ENDEAVORS, (DAN AND MIKE HAVE BOTH BEEN AMAZINGLY SUPPORTIVE OF JOHNS TIME WITH ADRENALINE MOB, AND MY DEVICE PROJECT, AND WE'RE BOTH VERY GRATEFUL FOR THEIR SUPPORT. LETS FACE IT, I WOULD NOT BE WHERE/WHO I AM WITHOUT THEM).
4. THERE WILL EVENTUALLY BE ANOTHER DISTURBED RECORD. WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT, WHEN WE ARE READY TO COME BACK AND FEEL FULL OF FIRE AND INSPIRATION TO LIGHT UP THE MACHINE ONCE AGAIN. I CANNOT SAY HOW LONG THAT WILL TAKE, FOR I TRULY DO NOT KNOW.
5. FOR THOSE WHO HAVE LISTENED TO DEVICE AND LOVE IT, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU ON THE ROAD,
AND FOR THOSE WHOM ITS NOT THEIR CUP OF TEA, I RESPECT THAT. I SIMPLY WANT TO SHARE MY NEW CREATION, THAT I AM SO PROUD OF, WITH ALL OF YOU, THE FANS WHO MADE DISTURBED WHAT IT IS, WHOM I RESPECT AND VALUE MORE THAN ANYTHING WITH THE EXCEPTION OF MY LOVELY WIFE...LOL. YOU ARE A HUGE PART OF MY LIFE AND THERE IS NO ONE I WOULD RATHER SHARE MY ACCOMPLISHMENTS WITH, (DEVICE, PRODUCING THE TRIVIUM RECORD,
AND WORKING W DAVE MUSTAINE OF MEGADETH)
YOU MEAN EVERYTHING TO ME.
ALL MY LOVE AND RESPECT,
P.S. THE CAPS ARE A STYLE PREFERENCE, BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS. DONT FEAR THE CAPS, THEY'RE JUST BIG LETTERS, THEY DONT ACTUALLY EMIT SOUND. BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET OVER IT...LOL.